B.A. LL.B. Acc. FM..
Todd received his B.A. in communication studies from the University of Calgary. While there, he created a documentary film that won the Best Human Interest Documentary at the North West International Film Festival in 1999. Todd then attended Cardiff Law School in Wales and completed his LL.B. He returned to Canada to attend Dalhousie Law School, before returning to Toronto to complete his articles with a family law firm.
Todd is a partner in our family law department. He has been involved with many difficult and complex cases. In addition to appearing at all levels of courts in Ontario, Todd is a proponent of resolving family law matters through Alternative Dispute Resolution. He has achieved excellent results for his clients in mediation and arbitration while avoiding the pitfalls of court proceedings.
Todd is an accredited family law mediator. He brings an insightful, practical and efficient approach to mediation to help guide the parties towards the resolution of their family law disputes. Todd promotes the mediation process as a positive and reliable alternative to litigation.
Todd is a trained collaborative family lawyer. He advances the collaborative practice as a practical and alternative process to court to help families achieve settlement in a respectful, creative and cost-effective manner.
Todd is a member of the Ontario Bar Association, Law Society of Ontario, the Association of Family and Conciliation Courts, the Ontario Association for Family Mediation, Collaborative Practice Toronto and York Collaborative Practice.
1. Introduction - John P. Schuman (00.00)
2. Equalization of "What?" - Property Division on Marriage Breakdown - F. Timothy Deeth (02.40)
3. Equalization of net family properties and Common Law Couples - Michelle Farb (16.07)
4. Weird and Archaic Solutions to Bad Financial Separations (Trust Claims) - John P. Schuman (17.10)
5. Immigration Consequences of Relationship Breakdowns - Asher I. Frankel (36.57)
6. Bad Ideas in Custody Cases "Outside the Box" Strategies that People Use - Rachel Healey (51.20)
7. Difficult Spousal Support Issues post "Guidelines" - Kerri Parslow (1.08.58)
8. Keeping Your Scary Spouse Away with a Restraining Order - Sarah Falzon (1.19.48)
9. Why going to Family Mediation Without Consulting a Lawyer is like Playing Dodgeball Blindfolded - Todd E. Slonim (1.26.08)
10. How to Keep Yourself from Getting Played - The Benefits of a Marriage Contract or Cohabitation Agreement - Julie Tyas (1.35.15)
11. Questions and Answer Session (1.45.11)
Presentation Handouts - Common Legal Mistakes in Separation / Divorce
Recorded January 20, 2015
Of interest to:
Therapists, social workers, mediators, non-family law lawyers, marriage counselors, accountants, financial planners, doctors or anyone who might have questions regarding any family law related issues. We will be presenting basic family law and common family law “misconceptions” for helping professionals to understand how things might work out for their clients.