The ever increasing pace of technology advancement and innovation creates unique challenges for entrepreneurs and start-ups trying to navigate their way through today’s complex legal system which is itself changing rapidly to keep up with this new world order. In response, Devry Smith Frank LLP (DSF) and in particular, the Emerging Market Group of lawyers has developed Start-Up SuiteTM. Start-up Suite is a package of legal services provided for a flat fee. DSF’s Emerging Markets’ Group represents businesses throughout their entire lifecycle, from formation, through seed, angel and venture stage financing, to commercialization and ultimately to a ‘going public’, sale or other ‘exit’ transaction.
Raising Capital and Protecting Intellectual Property
DSF’s Emerging Markets Group lawyers will take care of all your legal needs and provide expert consultation to ensure you can focus your energy on growing and running your business. We are especially well versed in raising capital and protecting intellectual property – two things that most start-ups cannot do without.
Our significant experience within the investment community has at times enabled us to connect our start-up clients with angel, venture capital and private equity investors. We also help new businesses get their financial houses “in order” by ensuring that our rates are always competitive. Unlike larger law firms, our business model allows us to provide start-ups with access to more senior lawyers at more competitive rates.
Flat Fees for Start-Up SuiteTM Packages
For qualifying start-ups, we have created the Start-Up SuiteTM package which provides a wealth of legal services for a flat-fee. The Start-Up SuiteTM package includes:
- Initial consultation
- One (1) hour of free consultations per month, for six (6) months
- Incorporation and organization of Ontario (OBCA) or Federal (CBCA) corporation
- Issuing shares to founders
- One (1) year of corporate record keeping
- A founders’ Shareholders Agreement
Plus, any two (2) of the following:
- Shareholder Loan and Security Documentation
- Confidentiality/Non-Disclosure Agreement template
- Employment Agreement template
- Independent Contractor template
- Confidentiality and Assignment of IP template
- Website Terms of Service
- End User License Agreement
Flexible Billing and Payment Arrangements
We provide start-ups with several different billing options which can be combined and customized based upon each client’s legal and business needs, such as:
- a-la-carte flat rates for specific legal documents, required on an “as needed” basis;
- flat-fee hourly rates which allow you to “pre-pay” for a certain number of discounted hours of service per month (hourly rate packages vary on the number of hours needed each month);
- unlimited service, “all-you-can-eat” billing arrangement whereby a start-up gains unlimited access, for a single monthly fee.
DSF Start-Up Legal Help
DSF is proud of our work helping new businesses grow and thrive while bringing new opportunities to our communities. For more than 50 years we have provided expert legal help and consultation for entrepreneurs in a wide range of industries.