Are you in crisis?
We care about your safety. Below you will find a listing of some help lines and services that you might need in difficult times.
Kids help phone – 1-800-668-6868
1-866-863-0511 (toll free) or 1-866-863-7868 (TTY) or 416-863-0511 (Toronto). This confidential, 24-hour province-wide helpline offers crisis counseling, emotional support, safety planning, and referrals for women needing a shelter, legal advice or other supports. Available in more than one hundred languages including over a dozen Aboriginal dialects.
Femaide: Women who have been victims of violence will find help with this crisis line.
1-877–FEMAIDE or 1-877-336-2433 (toll-free) or 1-866-860-7082 (TTY)
Femaide has a range of resource to help women escape dangerous situations, find shelter, seek counseling and provide immediate emotional support as needed. Note that this line connects to a crisis center for French speakers. 24 hour availability with complete confidentiality.
Violence Against Women Shelters
Women who need emergency shelter and other resources including food and counseling will find support at Ontario 211 which offers a directory of shelters for women who have been victims of domestic violence.
Sexual Assault/Rape Crisis Centers
Sexual Assault/Rape Crisis Centres offer a wide variety of services to victims and survivors of sexual violence, 16 years and over. Services include:
- 24-hour phone support
- Confidential support
- Group or individual counseling
- Escort to court, police station and hospital
- Legal information
- Francophone services in select areas
Visit the Ontario Network of Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Treatment Centers for additional details on each service including locations and contact information.
Other Services for Victims of Crime
Services provided by the Ministry of Attorney General
The Ministry of Attorney General provides information on programs and services for victims of crime, including:
- The Victim Support Line is a free, province-wide information line that provides a range of services to victims of crime. Victims may speak directly with an information and referral counsellor at Findhelp, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, about supports and services that are available in their community;
- The Victim Witness Assistance Program, a court-based program, provides services to victims and witnesses by offering emotional support, court preparation, and referrals to counselling and other services;
- The Victim Crisis Assistance and Referral Services network is a community response program providing immediate, on-site assistance to victims of crime 24 hours a day, seven days a week;
- The Victim Quick Response Program provides eligible victims with immediate assistance for emergency expenses, counselling services and funeral expenses. In most locations, Victim Crisis Assistance and Referral Services administer the program;
- The SupportLink Program provides victims of domestic violence, sexual assault and stalking with intensive safety planning and 911-programmed cell phones, in 20 Ontario locations.
Criminal Injuries Compensation Board
The Criminal Injuries Compensation Board, an independent agency of the Ministry of Attorney General, provides victims of crime the financial means to overcome the hardship they experience as a result of their victimization. The Board assesses financial compensation for victims of violent crime committed in Ontario who qualify under the Compensation for Victims of Crime Act.
Creating a Safety Plan
Safety planning helps women and their children avoid further violence and trauma by taking strategic measures to increase safety. Find out more about safety planning by visiting:
- Safety Planning for Women Who are Abused (Neighbours, Friends and Families campaign)
- Creating a Safety Plan from the Peel Committee Against Woman Abuse
- Safety Planning (Springtide Resources)
We offer multiple convenient locations in Toronto, Whitby, Barrie and more to serve our clients better. Find the office closest to you by calling us at 416-449-1400 or by visiting our locations page.