Certified Specialist in Citizenship & Immigration Law
Lloyd Ament is an experienced Toronto Immigration lawyer with Devry Smith Frank LLP (DSF) and he joined our immigration group in September of 2016. He is also a Partner with DSF.
Lloyd was awarded a Bachelor of Commerce degree in 1972 and a Bachelor of Laws degree in 1975 from McGill University. He was called to the bar in 1977.
He has been practicing immigration and corporate/commercial law for more than 35 years and has been designated by the Law Society of Upper Canada as a Certified Specialist in Citizenship and Immigration Law. Lloyd is a previous member of the Executive Committee of the Ontario Bar Association's Citizenship and Immigration Section.
Lloyd has an active global corporate immigration law practice and is associated with law firms internationally. His experience in corporate/commercial and business law also provides him with the knowledge and expertise to better assist corporations, business owners and individuals in all aspects of the immigration process.
Acting for and representing clients from around the world his immigration law practice includes legal advice and counseling for:
• Intra-company Transfers under NAFTA and General Provisions for Eligible Foreign Workers, and other international trade agreements;
• Business persons under the Economic, Business and Provincial Nominee
• Skilled Professionals under the Skilled Worker or Trades Program through Express Entry
• Business Visitors and trainees under NAFTA and other trade treaties
• Labour Market Impact Assessments (LMIA) for Potential Foreign Workers
• Student Permit Applications for Potential Foreign Students
• Temporary Resident Visas (TRV) for Business Visitors/Tourists from non-visa exempt countries
• Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) Applications for Criminal Rehabilitation
• Service Canada (ESDC) Permanent Offers of Employment for Potential Skilled Workers
• Family Class Sponsorships
• Residency Regulation compliance with "2 years in 5 years"
• Canadian Citizenship for eligible Permanent Residents
In addition to his immigration practice, Lloyd is also a registered Trade Mark Agent in Canada. He represents clients on national and international trademark matters, including the ability of a mark to qualify for registration, assessment, conflict review and application preparation. Lloyd has previously acted as legal counsel to the Mississauga Chinese Business Association.
Lloyd is a member of the following professional organizations:
• Recent past member of Executive Committee of Ontario Bar Association - Citizenship and Immigration
• The Law Society of Upper Canada
• The Canadian Bar Association - Immigration Section
• American Immigration Lawyers Association
• The Asia-Pacific Lawyers Association